As you may have noticed, I went missing last week. My tiny town was in the path of Hurricane Matthew. We were without power for a few days and without internet for even longer. When we finally got our internet and land line phone back it was patchy and not very reliable. I am so happy to say things seem to be going back to normal in our household! Our area is still recovering, so please keep Eastern NC in your prayers and help in any way you can!
Okay, now on to the blog!
Today is my birthday!!! I thought it only appropriate to discuss something that hits close to home for me…confidence, and what it truly means in my life.
I often get compliments on my confidence and how I carry myself. It is likely I get these types of compliments because I am a larger lady, but I don’t act like people expect. I love a good see through shirt, I hold my head high, and I don’t let the opinions of strangers determine my self worth.
However, I would be a liar if I said I never think about my weight or my looks.
I think about my weight almost every single day of my entire life. I have done so for as long as I can remember. It determines just about every decision I make. It is the hardest concept to explain to someone who has never been fat. But, that is a topic for another day. Now…onto why you came here in the first place!
Here are 5 easy tips and tricks on how I stay confident.
- Confidence is a choice. It is not a day by day thing. You have to make a conscious decision every moment to be confident. There will be moments and days and weeks when choosing confidence will seem almost impossible, and that is okay! Don’t feel like if you have a time of self doubt that you have failed your confidence journey. That isn’t the case in the slightest.
- Give yourself some self love however you see fit and start again. I love to have an at home reflection staycation. I spend the day doing face masks, my nails, lush bomb baths, reading a good book, and eating yummy food. I know this is not possible for every person reading this, but you get the idea. Do something kinda quiet that you love as a way to reflect on your life and you as an individual.
- Find things YOU love about yourself. Look in the mirror and find something you see as physically appealing.It can be something teeny tiny, or something obvious. It is entirely up to you! I have a freckle on my right hand by my thumb that I particularly like on myself. I challenge you to find something different everyday.
- You are more than your physical attributes. Therefore, you should look yourself in the eyes and be honest. Honestly reflect on who you are as a person. Search your soul for character traits you are proud to have.You can start with generic traits, but I urge you to look for the complex. They are there, I can pinky promise you that! Being aware of things you like about yourself isn’t vain. It is seeing all the great that God did by creating you
- See the beauty in others. This is a big one for me and my confidence journey. It is so easy to pass harsh judgments, or to not really see the people surrounding us. It is harder to observe the world around you and find God’s amazing handiwork on full display. If you know me then you know I compliment people left and right. Some may see my compliments as disingenuous. I can totally see how you would think so given the world we live in. However if you truly know me you know that isn’t the case. I CHOOSE to find the beauty is every person I pass. Now, I am not saying you need to go out of your way to compliment everyone at the local Target. I am, however, saying to at least see it. Take it in. Let it wash over you. This outlook will help you see the beauty in yourself.
“I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well” Psalm 139:14
You are all fearfully and wonderfully made by the ultimate Creator. You were carefully crafted by His hands. You are placed here for a purpose so much bigger than any of us can comprehend. Your worth cannot be determined by things of this world. No man, woman, child, job, friend, or possession can validate you. He is your worth. He is your confidence.
I am planning on starting a 30 day Confidence Devotional at the beginning of 2017. If this is something that you would want please share, like, and/or comment this post, so I can gauge interest!